After the profiterole success last night, I posted this on facebook:
Homemade profiteroles for dessert, but true love is on the stove – homemade chicken stock simmering. And my parents are coming in a few weeks! If traveling to Minnesota in the middle of the winter of our discontent isn’t love, I don’t know what is!
I was making the stock, using Ina’s actual recipe instead of my modified version of it. I had let it simmer throughout the evening, and couldn’t wait to make Chicken Matzoh Ball soup with it (from Parties!) today. I was so excited to post about it, and my family’s tradition with chicken dumpling soup, and even about my obsession with Fiddler on the Roof.
I was taking the stock to the fridge when I tripped on something, fell, and splashed extremely hot stock all over my arm and part of my face. Thankfully, my husband was there to help me get off the floor and get me to some cold water to rinse myself off, but it became clear over the next couple of hours that home remedies were not going to be enough. My skin continued to look worse, and the pain was not manageable. We called friends to sit with the kids while we headed off to the emergency department. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Now, I’ve received much advice about what I should have done instead – let the stock cool before refrigerating it, by putting it in a pile of snow or an ice bath. Um, thanks? That’s kind of like saying “careful!” right after someone bonks their head. I knew I made a mistake as soon as it happened, and what I should have done. As my great-grandmother used to say, “There’s no trouble like the trouble you make yourself.” Wise woman.
All of the “should have”s floated through our heads, but the ER nurse summed it up nicely: “Sh$t happens.” Yup. I always kind of knew that I’d have a cooking injury someday, but I always imagined it would be a cut that would require stitches. In fact, my knife slipped when I cut the head of garlic in half for the stock last night, and it gave me a start, but I didn’t get injured then. As bad as the burn was, I’m glad I didn’t get a cut.
I received excellent care at West Health, which is affiliated with our primary care physician’s clinic, and the hospital where I gave birth to both of my kids, so thankfully they had me in their computer system and got me in for treatment pretty quickly. I have prescriptions for a topical treatment and pain medication, and instructions to follow up with the burn clinic next week. Holy what? The burn clinic? I’ve been told that this is technically a scald and not a burn (man, I have a lot of know-it-all friends), but the ER doctor told me that these are second degree burns.
Now, I’m not going to go into the gory details, but I will tell you that you don’t want to get a burn. Or a scald. Whatever. This is coming from a woman who gave birth to a 9.5+ pound baby. The burn was way worse, and I didn’t even get to take home a cute baby at the end of the night.
In retrospect, though, it could have been a lot worse. I was relieved that my husband was (and is) here to take care of me, and that the kids slept through everything. Grateful for friends who hopped in the car in the middle of the night to stay with our kids, who were blissfully unaware that anything had happened. Grateful that the “baby” is almost 3 and doesn’t need to be carried and lifted constantly. Grateful for good health care close to our home. Grateful for a 24-hour pharmacy on the way home, to fill prescriptions and supplies. Grateful that we had wrapped up our family photos about 12 hours before the “accident,” so that I wasn’t wrapped up in gauze with a lopsided swollen face to capture the moment. (And to think, I was worried that the kids would be bumped and bruised for the photos!) I’m still bummed about the wasted stock, though. Talk about adding insult to injury!
So, I’m going to take some time to recover. There will probably be a lot of takeout consumed this week. My parents arrive in a few days, and their timing couldn’t be better. I might drop out of the blogosphere for a few weeks, but I promise I’ll be back.
Until then, here’s a photo of the offending liquid: